Our Family

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 1

Started our first day at Mass General bright and EARLY! Feeling pretty jet-lagged, we set out for our first appointment at 6 am (3 am California time!). First, we met with the anesthesiologist, then the nursing consultation, Alex had another lung capacity test, and finally we met Dr. Linuti. (Keep in mind these appointments are back-to-back in different offices on a hospital campus that is 3 city blocks in size.) Met some wonderfully kind people. We both feel very confident about our meeting with Dr. Linuti. He talked with us for quite a while and explained the 3 possible options for surgery. Tomorrow morning Alex will have another bronchoscopy and biopsy. This time he will not be awake so they can safely take a sample of the tumor. The way the surgery is performed will depend on if the tumor is classified as a "typical" or "atypical". We were under the impression previously that all carcinoid tumors are non-aggressive, but some can be aggressive so we need to know for certain which type this is. Friday we should find out the result and then learn the exact plan for surgery.

In Alex's typical positive spirit, he managed to bring a contagiously upbeat energy to the patients in the waiting room and the staff. I honestly think he baffled the nurses and doctors a bit. Dr. Linuti explained that there are really 3 possible options-- one is what we had originally thought, one involves a complete rebuilding of the carina (where the bronchial tubes meet the trachea), and the third involves removing part of the right lung. Not phased at all, Alex simply asks if the least invasive of the 3 is a real option and Dr. Linuti answers, "Sure. It could be. We'll see when I get in there tomorrow." Alex's response: "Well that's great doc. I think I may have the perfect tumor." Perfect tumor? This quietly kind & serious man nods and gives a slight smile in a way that it's clear he's rarely met with such optimism.

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on the wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

2 comments:

  1. You are in my thoughts and prayers. It's obvious how strong your love is for one another, as well as your family. Your love and faith will help you beat this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me. I am David Worden's sister and I bought some merchandise from you last year for my (now) 6 mo old grandson. I have you both in my prayers as you go through this tough time. Miracles do happen and I feel confident that there are some miracles waiting for you. 6 yrs ago my husband had esophageal cancer,which has a 3% survival rate. They removed his esophagus and he has been cancer free ever since. Miracle number 1. Yesterday he had surgery to remove a tumor from his pituitary gland, very delicate surgery so near the brain. It was benign and he is recovering very well. Miracle number 2. I pray that your miracle is just around the corner. It seems like you are in good hands with your doctors. I wish you the best. You have a beautiful family. I have known your mom since she was 9 yrs old and Barbara since we were both 14. That's when I told her she could marry my brother, which she promptly did about 9 yrs later. Take care, Linda Thompson, Glendale, AZ

    ReplyDelete